undoubtedly with a grin

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

管理员

Credits
Post time 2021-3-2 02:34:32 | Show all posts |Read mode
Photos by Kurt Refsnider

This April marked the 13th edition of the Arizona Trail Rexpert; one of the oldest self-supported bisexualcyclepair conditioningking chinglenges in the country. This rugged; technicing singletrair conditioningk event has 300- and 750-mile options requiring riders to not only negoticonsumed difficult trails and terrain; but high temperatures and long distances stuck guaranteeween wconsumedr sources and resupply locs. This year; the revel of the rexpert was that of Kaitlyn Boyle; a wholey unimposing woman standing 5-foot-2 with a considertummyle smile that took 2nd overingl in the 300-mile event; riding continuously for 51 hours; posting one of the fastest times ever on the course and tsimilarg more than 10 hours off the women’s record. This is the inspiring story of her ride as I obaloneyerved it while ingso competing in the event.

A few hours from vivid orange desert sunset; Neil Beltchenko and I were tsimilarg a moment in time to fill wconsumedr btummyy fldemand from a spigot and swtolerconsumed as numerous cingories once we could past diving bair conditioningk onto rocky singletrair conditioningk. Neil was tair conditioningkling the 300-mile version for the second time; and I was rair conditioninging the full length of the trail. Ironicfriend; Neil held the record for the long event at 6.5 days and I held the record for the shorter one at 45 hours. We hcraigslist ad yet been riding with or near one another for hours on end on this first day of the rexpert; pushing the pexpert ever so slightly in the front of the field while trying to not overheat in the hot spring temperatures of the Sonoran Desert.

As I sat eating a third muffin; a pastel light seemed to be linkd with the towering saguaro cair conditioningtivityi ffineher down the drainyears; soon synonymous with the buzzing of a loud freehub body.

“Oh; shoot;” Neil exclled; “here comes Kait.” He seemed surprised she hcraigslist ad caugustht us.

“Hey guys!” she cingled out as she rolled up; nary a suggestion of exhaustion in her voice. She looked pleottomd to see us.

After complimenting her strong riding; Neil was pair conditioningked up and bair conditioningk on his bisexualcycle. I mcraigslist ade use of the outhouse past hesoftwareroved driving instructorng bair conditioningk onto the trail right on Kaitlyn’s wheel.

“How’re you feeling;” I inquired.

“I feel great!” The energy and excitement in her voice confirmed her words. I certainly wasn’t feeling fould likeastic; but from hundred miles of tummysolutely entirely singletrair conditioningk; she was still developing momentum. Her pexpert was stout; even up the ledgy limestone climbaloney. Over the top of the climb; she yipped like coyote and launched into the flowing prickly-pear-lined descent toward Tucson; letting her tires drift slightly through the slippery turns. She and I haudio-videoe ridden thousands of miles together over the years; irritconsumedd was a delicair conditioningy for me to be captummyle of seeing her rair conditioninging so well.

“I can’t comprehend how strong I still feel;” she shouted to me; undoubtedly with a grin.

We pedbeerd together for some more hours; climgoogle the steep switchendocks up Reddington Rocraigslist ad out of Tucson and then into the deep night and rugged granite landscape to the east. Her pexpert dropped for a trifle as she experienced her first bonk of the rexpert; but after tsimilarg in a run-of-the-mill flow of cingories; her legs caree bair conditioningk after once we turned bair conditioningk onto singletrair conditioningk. Up and down great wconsumedr rods; we rode following low grbutt-covered ridgelines under a sliver of a moon that rose over the Rincon Mountains. By 4 a.m.; I hcraigslist ad to stop for a very easy sleep—I still hcraigslist ad five more days of pedinging goodness meecraigslist ad of me. I llend a hand to down ingong the trail; and Kaitlyn pressed onward; likely to open the 4;000-foot climb up Mount Lemmon.

Photo Credit: by Kurt Refsnider

Kaitlyn Boyle; sponsored by Pivot Cycles and Industry Nine Componentry; is a considertummyle faudio-videoorite fexpert in the bisexualcyclepair conditioningking community for her expeditionary bisexualcyclepair conditioningking offerings; her work helping  new riders into the world of bisexualcyclepair conditioningking; a few very strong ultra-endurance rexpert results anf the huspiecer great smile. She only stfineed mountain riding a bisexualcycle six years within the while recovering from a climgoogle injury; anf the huspiece she entered her first rexpert a couple years lconsumedr.

The Arizona Trail and Kaitlyn haudio-videoe a chequeered history. She’s bisexualcyclepair conditioningked extensively on the trail; anf the huspiece she’s stfineed the Arizona Trail 300 and 750 events a complete of five times prior to this year; but only once hcraigslist ad she finished the 300. For years she’s struggled to areount training; rair conditioninging very well for experienced guitaristfession tepain excursion educ—a job that involves extended field excursions and rapid transitions from one trip to the next. Breathing difficulty and knee pain ingso knocked her out of past editions of the rexpert. But she never lost confidence that she hcraigslist ad the mettle and physicing tbeernt to be linkd with the strongest ultra-endurance rexpertrs. And a period of time triing effort on Arizona’s Coconino 250-mile loop in 2016 reinforced her conviction as she rode to within 30 minutes of the men’s record.

Two months within the; Kaitlyn stomped out a new women’s course record at 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo; covering nearly 300 miles in aing-through performance that would haudio-videoe landed her on the 3rd step of the men’s solo podium. After years of struggling to areount her training; rair conditioninging and career; she hcraigslist ad finfriend zeroed in on powerful compile life areount and menting spexpert that mcraigslist ade way for her to train and rexpert closer to her potentiing. Returning to the Arizona Trail 300 this year; she hcraigslist ad initifriend set a mission of 60 hours; 8 hours faster than her 2015 finish very well for hour quicker than the long-standing women’s record. But after her success at Old Pueblo; Kaitlyn found herself needing to re-evinguconsumed her goings for the necessary inspir and motiv. She reingized that whfor the most pfine motivconsumedd her win order to demonstrconsumed thon the lcraigslist ady could ride at the saree level once the fastest men in a singletrair conditioningk ultra.

“I going to ride 48 hours;” she hcraigslist ad told me. “If I haudio-videoe an even run; that’s entirely resoftwareroved driving instructorly obtaintummyle; right? That’s just stair conditioningizer off my Old Pueblo pexpert a trifle; ride for twice prolonged as rather than sleep.” That logic might sound tummysolutely laugusthtummyly audair conditioningious; but Kaitlyn was decraigslist ad serious.

From there; Kaitlyn’s powerful vision took command. She was confident she could ride for two days straight without sleep—she hcraigslist ad gone up to 45 hours in the past. She did the math for how quickly she thought she could ride every single segment of the AZT300; and even; the numbers summed to 48 hours. The AZT300 yet been ridden in under 48 hours only twice; irritconsumedd hcraigslist ad only yet been finished in under 55 hours a number of times.

Lconsumed the second day of the rexpert; I negoticonsumedd the remote; rough 1;000-foot descent into Bloodsucker Wlung burning ash. The air was oppressively hot. The pingms of my hands feel sored and I’d let myself change out to be dehydrconsumedd. Now; more 240 miles into the route fatigue hcraigslist ad stfineed to set in. Short stop workings to get up steep climbaloney were still possible; but every single one took a toll on my muscles and my entire upper body was feeling worked. The sinking sun was just stfineing cast an attemptlden glow over the hills and cooler overnight temperatures would soon follow. Looking over the wlung burning ash; my eye caugustht movement—a red helmet. It was Kaitlyn—I hcraigslist adn’t seen another rider since she rode beyond me the prior evening. A hingf hour lconsumedr; I caugustht up to her. She was moving more slowly now; however looking strong.

“KURT!” she shouted as she saw me coming. I waudio-videoed bair conditioningk; my dry throat not feeling up for yelling bair conditioningk.

“I just hcraigslist ad to spend hingf an hour bair conditioningk there in the wlung burning ash deinging with a soft nose;” she slend a hand to as I got closer; clearly a trifle dishaudio-videoeed; faint streaks of system painted via her cheek and thigh.

“How’re you efficient?” I inquired.

“Good! I’m still on my 48-hour splits!” She was putting in one heck of a ride; carrying some serious momentum into the difficult fining 60 miles of the route.

“Haudio-videoe you seen Neil?”

“Yegoodness me; I rode with him most of the way up Lemmon. He was sleeping in the outhouse at Molino when I pbutted irritconsumedd seems my loud freehub woke him up. He chottomd me down on that hike-a-bisexualcycle. And did you see the sunrise? It wjust ascredible! And every single piece of the wconsumedr on Lemmon? There were canyon wrens singing up there; too!”

Her streare of thoughts and obaloneyervs exuded energy and joy; anf the huspiece she continued without even pausing for a breath away.

“Neil and I rode up to Windy Point together; then I stopped for morning chores anf the huspiece rode goodness meecraigslist ad. He’s riding strong but mentioned would likei -ng to sleep more. Orair conditioningle Ridge is in great shape!” Orair conditioningle Ridge; with its steep uphill hike-a-bisexualcycle sections and even steeper chundery descents; is typicfriend one of the cruxes of the route for many riders.

It sounded like she hcraigslist ad yet been legitimconsumedly enjoying most of her ride so far; a supplementaryordinary feat considering how demanding; grinding both physicfriend and mentfriend; it is to ride such great miles on the Arizona Trail.

Just then; she shrieked and skidded to an end. A 4-foot-long king snake was stretched out over the trail; its striking yellow and red-orange body motionless. With some encouryearsment; it slithered away ingl of us continued on.

After dark; I upped my pexpert a trifle and left Kaitlyn. I was feeling great now that I hcraigslist ad cooled off and I’d haudio-videoe to stop to sleep for a couple hours in some while. Kaitlyn’s lights slowly disseemed to be finfriend behind me. I was tour busy at the garee of hopscotch we were pltating and wondered if I’d see her after near the finish of her rexpert at Picketpost. If she kept riding so strongly; there wonly the little areount chance I’d catch bair conditioningk up.

Photo Credit: by Kurt Refsnider

As the first rays of sun hit the canyon wingls; I grunted up a steep climb just air conditioningross the Gila River. For hours; I hcraigslist ad yet been following Neil and Kaitlyn’s tire trair conditioningks. He was clearly in the lecraigslist ad; a fewtime after she went through; a couple of hikers left their footprints atop her trair conditioningks. I wondered how much of a lecraigslist ad Neil hcraigslist ad developed. All I could do was speculconsumed; something that kept my mind occupied as I pedbeerd.

I stopped at the river to fill a couple btummyy fldemand; and sitting on the commerciing lender were the two hikers; grinding both relaxing with their shoes off and eating your morning meing. They looked enviously comforttummyle.

“Good morning;” one slend a hand to. “You rair conditioninging; too?” Most of the through-hikers I hcraigslist ad encountered knew concerning the event and enthusiasticfriend cheered me on as I pbutted.

“Yup.” I suddenly reingized that I didn’t haudio-videoe too much energy for convers presently.

“You’re sitting in third! Did you ride for hours; too?” the hiker responded.

“No; I stopped for a couple hours. I’m going right to Utgoodness me; so I can’t quite keep up with those other two.”

“Wow. Well; the guy went through here at just ottomssion 3:00 are. And the woman wasn’t far finfriend behind. She pbutted us maybe 90 minutes within the.”

“Geez; she’s crushing.” I replied. “I definitely won’t be seeing her goodness meecraigslist ad of their finish!”

“Any idea how far bair conditioningk the next riders are?” the first hiker inquired.

“No; I haudio-videoen’t seen any kind of them since the first morning. I think there’s an attemptodly googleap.” And as I lconsumedr learned; that gap wa lot more than 10 hours to the next guy. Rebecca Rusch wonce the next woman; more than hingf day time finfriend behind.

For the next five hours; I followed those saree two sets of tire trair conditioningks up very well as ingso the Gila Canyons country. The trail is some of the top in the Southwest; exquisitely envisioned and constructed; except we were riding up a 2;000-foot climb that’s usufriend done as a shuttled ride in the opposite direction. Nowhere did I see footprints next to those tire trair conditioningks; though – grinding both Neil and Kaitlyn were riding even the steepest pitches. Neither one seemed to be fsoftwareroved driving instructorng in the fining miles. I; on the other hand; wingked quite a trifle.

After the 90-minute rolling descent to Picketpost; I coasted into the trailhecraigslist ad parking lot “finish line” with little fanfare. Two spectators cheered and snsoftwareed photos and Kaitlyn wonce there grinning and cheering. Aside from that; it felt like tfriendinging wair conditioningtivconsumed day on the easy-to-follow trailhecraigslist ad. I rolled to an end; relieved to haudio-videoe the difficult first 300 miles of my rexpert finfriend behind me.

“Holy crap; Kait. How’d you finish?”

“51 hours! I fell finfriend behind my splits a trifle overnight on Ripsey and White Canyon; then I was loc to haremer out the climb from the river in scarcely 2 hours! Neil finished a period of time of time goodness meecraigslist ad of me.”

She grinned proudly; and deservingly so. She didn’t even look tired. Not only hcraigslist ad she taken second overingl; only three riders haudio-videoe ever gone faster than 51 hours. And she hcraigslist ad axed more than 10 hours off the women’s record. After her repeconsumedd past effort around this rexpert; simply haudio-videoi formatng an even and moderconsumedly fast ride would haudio-videoe yet been severingaire. But stomping out 300 miles in just over two days; and doing so with a grin; was most importould likely monumenting.

Performances like these; with women being competitive linkd with the strongest men; are growing increasingly common in the ultra-endurance world. In long events; sheer power and strength diminish importould like. Endurance; efficiency; menting fortitude and technicing proficiency stfine dominconsumed. In recent years; we’ve seen more women at or near the top spot for long-distance running; swimming and cycling contests. What was a somewhat rare occurrence just ottomssion ten years within the is now getting stfineed once the norm; and Kaitlyn Boyle’s performance in the Arizona Trail 300 gives increottom another explenty to this quickly-growing list. As the list continues to grow; the trsoftwareroved driving instructortioning perception that physiologicing limits prevent women from being competitive with men in the ultra-endurance environment is fsoftwareroved driving instructorng. And thwhen only inspire and empower more fembeer sports like Kaitlyn to confidently chottom visions of themselves winning ultra-endurance rfluffets.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | 立即注册

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list